The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
bhayes1

3OTT - Inline 6 thoughts

The more I learn about these trucks the more I desire to have something simple and original. Maybe because my Dad had a 3OTT truck and I learned to drive a manual that way but for whatever reason I (think) I would like to go back that route. My current project has a 350 / th350 and I really enjoy it. I understand a lot of people swapping out the old 6cyl for more power and automatics especially since SBC stuff is easy to find and reasonable priced. However, because it was rare ~20 something years ago to sit behind the wheel of a 3OTT truck I think it would bring me a lot more pleasure to watch my kids and their friends trying to figure out what the heck I am doing as I run through the gears on the column and one day teach them to drive the truck.

So I am thinking of getting rid of my K2500 and searching for something original with either a 250 or a 292 (i know hard to find) with a 3 speed column shift, 2WD, LWB truck. From what I have read it seems like the 250 is just fine for the purpose I would ever use it for: embarrassing my wife, driving it once or twice a week a few miles for pleasure. Are parts still available for maintenance? Good or bad idea overall? And no, having both isn't an option.