The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
doodah man

Redo bed wood before selling?

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get y'all's thoughts on a question I've been asking myself.

I've been daily driving my 72 for 6 years. In fact it's my only vehicle. I'm thinking about selling it for a number of reasons but the biggest is that I'm just not feeling the motivation to deal with a needy vehicle anymore. I used to want to fix stuff that wasn't even broken and now I'm dreading the next hiccup.

Truck condition: good running, old paint with several dents and dings, a little rust here and there but the worst has been repaired. It's definitely DD material or an excellent starting point for a full resto. The major issue at the moment is the bed wood. It was put in by the PO in the 90s and done with SS hardware and painted wood to match the truck. It's currently rotted out to the point that the bed is held down by a ratchet strap, which brings me to my questions:

(1) Should I install new bed wood before putting it up for sale, i.e., will I get my money back assuming my labor is free? Most people who've seen it say yes.

(2) If the answer is yes, how should I do it? If I were re-doing this for myself, I would choose paint over pine like it has now. However, would varnished oak be more popular choice/easier sell?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

We're not the jet set
We're the old Chevrolet set
doodah man is offline   Reply With Quote