The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
chevymotocross

Gettin the Squarebody Itch Again

Been on these forums years back. Gained a lot of knowledge from you all when I had an 87' R10.

After driving around in a VW Golf for a few years as a commuter which served me well, the itch for another squarebody came about. Instead of another 2wd though, I'd like to get a 4x4 for a good reliable daily driver.

I live in New England so I know all too well about the rust that plagues these trucks. I spent countless hours on my 87' replacing rotted panels, bodywork, and undercoating. I want to start with a cleaner platform this time, so I will try looking out west. Undercoating as much as I can to prevent accelerated rusting during the winter months.

Here is what I would like:
- SWB 4x4 Fleetside
- 73-80 Nose
- TBI
- 700r4
- Part-Time 4x4 Transfer Case

I loved the TBI/700r4 305 in the 87'. Most reliable and easy to work on platform I ever had. I only have a 20 mile round trip so fuel mileage isn't too important but what is important is reliable easy starting, which TBI provided.

I love the 73-80 nose so I am somewhat at a dilemma. Obviously there is only 1 year I can look at for a factory installed TBI (87). This doesn't leave me with much to look at from a buyer perspective.

Would it be easier to
a. Find an 87' and swap the nose over to 73-80
b. Find a 73-80 and convert to TBI and 700r4

I know there are manufacturers out there such as Painless Wiring that have complete kits for this purpose. I would think this to be an easier route since I would not have to worry about color matching a different nose.... I really want to avoid any body work this time around.

With that said, how difficult are the TBI conversions? An LS swap is out of my league and budget.

Any particular years from this era better than the others? I would think by now, any of them would be a good purchase if clean.

Thanks!!