The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
e_valentine

69 SWB daily driver/advertising "work truck"

Well lets start this by saying I've been a lurker of this forum for at least 5 years. Since I was knee high to a grasshopper I've wanted a "67-72 short bed Chevy". I had big dreams and no cash. Then some cash and no time. Every time I thought I was going to buy a truck, my wallet told me "You could buy this but not do everything you want" and that meant more scratch that needed to be saved. I started out looking for a unicorn(who doesn't?). Then I thought oh i'll buy this $2500 truck on Craigslist and make her mine. Well thats where you all come into the picture. I'm glad I didn't buy the first truck I looked at just so i could say I have a 67-72 C10. I learned a lot about the headaches and brain damage these trucks can have right here.

So about 3 weeks ago I was looking and found a 1969 C10 SWB on Craigslist. His asking price for a non-running/engine in the bed truck to most people would scare them off, good for me though. After trying to get in touch with him for over a week, I realized I had been emailing from my work email. Fired off a Email. He called me 2 mins later. He told me he was out of town and his friend could show it to me. 3 Hrs later I met his buddy at his house. Guy had an awesome shop but the only thing left in there was the 69. Buddy tells me how wife lost her job and they had to move out of state. Well that little bit of info ended up saving me about $3K. I called the guy and lowballed him because he had to sell it. Waited what felt like 9 years but was only 7 days later i text him and threw out an offer that he took because his house was closing the next day. perfect timing I guess.

The truck was an original short box v6 3 speed with factory air and power steering. Guy I bought it from had a 700r4 and a 350 put in 13 years ago. He did disc brakes, complete rewire, relocated aluminum fuel cell, static drop(three five I believe), electric fans, complete interior(New carpet,new bench, stereo, Tilt column, door panels, aftermarket gauges, and paint), one piece aluminum drive shaft, Cragar Mags and a TON of new parts came with.

So about 3 years ago his intake manifold started leaking. He decided he was going to LS swap the truck. Pulled the motor and started prep. Never made it past first base. He had other projects that took over so it sat in the shop. He just started buying parts whenever he had extra money.

I was going to drop the 350 back in and beg my wife to still love me. Well she was pissed so I thought If I'm in the dawg house, lets build a mansion!!

Called my buddy who restores cars and truck and told him I'm dropping a LS in it and needed it ready. So I dropped the truck right off to him(wife still hasn't seen it). He walked me through what needed work and where he could start. I told him lets pull the grill and the inner fenders up front and clean up the frame and suspension to get ready for a motor. About a week later I show up and see this beautiful front section. I told him he had to do the underside. So its not a frame off but I'm trying to do it right the first time. He is going to get the motor swapped in and I'm taking her from there. First order of business is a complete AC system over haul at that point. I'm on the fence Vintage or Old Air?

I own a pest control company so I'm going to do a shop truck look and throw a vintage looking logo on the doors. I'm going to drive it daily when its finished. I'm hoping to have it on the road by June. Anyways thanks for all of your input so far. I'll post some pictures when I figure out how.
e_valentine is offline   Reply With Quote