The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Lblevins

1967 c40 car hauler project (build thread)

Well it started with my Nova I looked at airbag trailers and rollbacks and decided I want the best of it all.. I decided a 1967 C40 with a 1ton chassis and air ride was what I needed. I had the 1ton 4dr dually chassis that my dad had bought new and was very well maintained up until the 6.2 let go. I searched craigslist for months until I found the right deal which was the 67 c40. Farmer had it hours away and it hadn't been run in 20years but he said it did run. A friend and I drove over and it had a brake fluid leak tires were rotten and had no fluid in the trans at all but it did run. We filled the brake fluid up and bled them a little and made a 40mph trip which took numerous stops to check brake fluid and look over bearings etc and drove it home with luck on our side. It took a little effort talking another buddy into stopping work at his shop long enough for us to pull and slap the cab onto the 1ton chassis but surprising enough we had to do very little cutting on inner fenders and very front nose of frame and cab sat perfect we put some 4.5" blocks in rear inbetween frame and cab and it sat perfect. Steering column slide right into place and bolted right up. Then the next morning we brought it home. This is the point I am at now. I still need to stretch the frame, build custom 3 link for rearend and get air bags in it, 2600's in front and 4400's in rear. it wont have leafsprings in the rear anymore so it'll be a true air ride and will lay the back low enough small ramps will slide out to load car with. Truck is getting a 5.3 with single s366 ls9 cam kit and th400 and I will be switching to a factory 3.27 rear gear which was offered for this year truck. I wanted 24.5's milled down but after a lot of thought i'm planning to run 22.5's milled to 22's with a little more tire under it so I will have less worry on sidewall problems. Anyway, here it goes.
Attached Images

Lblevins is offline   Reply With Quote