The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Destructo

Help with my power steering pump! quick!

I had trouble finding the right power steering pump that my pulley and brackets would fit on buy finnally after finding out that a '74 pump has the old type threaded shaft on it for my pulley I start to hook it up and my pressure hose won't fit! Apparently they changed over from standard to metric sometime and I have the newer 85 model hose which has metric ends on it I think and also has the wrong flare. But I don't know which threads and flare my steering box has. This is really confusing me because evidently I can't find a pump that has old shaft and newer metric threads, any newer models than 74 have the newer tyle shaft and won't work. My hose also has the wrong bend in it but if I got one for the 74 pump it would be right but I think my threads on the steering box would then be wrong. What gives? The motor is an older motor which I think is either a 79 or 71 but has the new style brackets so I assume its a 79. But the power steering pump was probably pulled from the junkyard or something off of a 74 truck and they probably got a pressure hose that had both different ends on it.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote