The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do you favor Classic Carb'd Muscle, or Modern EFI LS Power
Give me that gas guzzling classic muscle 79 63.71%
I don't want to pump the gas, give me modern EFI LS Power 37 29.84%
You guys are missing out, I like something all together different (explain in post below) 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #32
i82much

Re: Classic Muscle or Modern Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Absolutely- GM spent millions of dollars developing the pcm and control strategies. That is part of the beauty of the engine.

I EFI'd my small block and it was worlds better than the carb but still.....
Yeah I mean I don't disagree. If you are talking about going to a junkyard and pulling a 5.3 with 50k miles on it versus any old school rebuilt SBC/BBC, it is not going to be close. The LS will be cheaper, get better mileage, make more power, everything.

All that being said, I like the old engines better, I just think an old truck with an old engine has character. But my expectations are reasonable so the quirks of a carb don't bother me.

I have my 396 K10 starting easily in all weather, take off immediately on a 0 degree day with an automatic transmission, and getting 11.5 mpg or so. Cruising in the low 14's AFR. It is not equal to a fuel injected ride but I'd say it is 80% of the way there compared to your average aluminum-intake 350 with headers, blocked heat crossover, and no choke or heat riser.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote