The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
drew8mc

New Custom Camper Owner... and total newbie

Hello all,

I am proud to say I am the caretaker of a '68 Custom Camper as of one week ago.

I've tried inserting an image, but the links not working.

What I know:
It has a 327. From the engine code I've deduced it is a 250 hp Powerglide AC motor. It is not original. The previous owner said it had a hot cam in it, but didn't know the specs. He bought it built as it was. It's mated to a 4 speed overdrive out of a later Monte Carlo. I need to get under and find the stamped code. It has been lowered. Rockers have been redone (although not particularly well). Inside front passenger fender is in the worst shape rust wise. Floor pans are decent. Bed wood floor is basically gone. The rest of the box looks good.

Besides the cosmetic issues I'm having one issue in particular that I'm hoping the experienced members here can help me troubleshoot. This is my first time really wrenching on anything, so I'm a total rookie when it comes to working on cars.

It will stall when put in D or R. Idles OK, but a little erratic, jumping up and down about 50 rpm when idling below 1000. Runs fine above 1000, sounds good and drives well. I just have to 2 foot it and keep the throttle depressed just a bit to keep it from stalling at red lights. Also, the vacuum brake booster will not work without some throttle as well. At idle there is no assist.

I've read as much as I can about the issue and I have done two minor things so far that have not solved the problem.
1. I've tried to adjust the Edelbrock 600 cfm carb idle and mixture screws. Idle wants to be either 750, or 1200. It does not want to stay anywhere in between. Mixture screws don't seem to be doing much of anything.
2. Some of the first things I've read about these problems is a vacuum leak. I have tried to check for leaks with Carb cleaner and found none around carb, manifold, or hoses. All unused ports on the carb are plugged. I have a vacuum gauge on the way to help see what the numbers are.

I'm hoping others can give me more items to check as possible solutions. I'll then learn as much as I can about how to do it, and go after it.

Thanks,
Drew
drew8mc is offline   Reply With Quote