The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
bigfunsixone

Basic Mod. Advice: Disc Brakes, Small Block, Etc.

Hey, total know-nothing about auto tech here.
Little backstory first, skip the first couple paragraphs if you want.
Got a '61 longbed fleetside C10 this summer. Wanted one for years, finally found a good deal on the year I wanted, got a bank loan, and got my truck. Love the thing. Figured this could be my gateway to wrenching on things. 236 I6, 5 speed manual with granny gear.
When I first got it, I thought I'd just keep it stock as possible and refurbish what I could afford to. Previous owner was a passionate young gearhead and did a ton of work on it. Rebuilt the engine and carb, new exhaust, new wiring harness, etcetera. Won't bore you with the details. Recently took it to my mechanic to get it a once-over and find out if I was an idiot for buying it. Happy to find out the frame is straight, no rust, and everything else is pretty damn good too.
He suggested I should save up and think about dropping a crate V8 in it, giving it some stance, front disc breaks, and some wider tires. I was content with my classic stock style, but now I can't get those mods out of my head. It would be badass. Especially the wider tires. Looks like a bodybuilder that skips leg day right now.
So my main questions are:
  • If I put a high horsepower (300-500) V8 in it, will I need a new transmission to handle it?
  • Will I also need a new rear axle and gearing to handle the extra power?
  • What do I need to change to get wider tires on it?
  • Brothers Trucks sells a front disc brake conversion kit with 2.5" drop spindles. Are such kits worth it or should I piece together higher quality parts?
If anybody took the time to actually read all that, I really appreciate it and I'd love some advice.
Thanks.
bigfunsixone is offline   Reply With Quote