The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
Clatterville trolley

Luna's Bug - a really different build

I thought I would share what I am working on right now with everyone. If this doesn't go here feel free to move it to another more appropriate place.

Recently I decided to build a cab dolly to work on the cab for my 67 project - story for another day. I had a lwb frame that wasn't in very good shape and I realized that if I cut out the center section just outside the cab mounting brackets that I could weld them up with legs and roller casters to make a cab dolly that was bound to fit just right with out having to measure, etc. to get everything lined up.

I welded temporary steel braces across the frame and then cut it out just outside of the brackets. It was about 40" long. Dustmaker65 wanted the front frame horns and the rear 15 plus inches to make some wall art in his new garage. So, those cuts went to him.

As I looked at what was left I decided that because I didn't have 10 or 15 thousand dollars to spend on a side-by-side UTV but I did have two parts of a rolling frame, I would just slide the two together and weld them up. It came out to about a 77" wheel base.

Next was some power for it. I have a spare 235 Chevy six cylinder with transmission from a 55 or 56 Chevy pick-up in my shop, so that became the power plant. I fabricated the front motor mounts and transmission mounts to hold everything.

In order to have a bed on my new project I drug out a couple of step-side bed sides that weren't in very good shape. 20" came out of the center of them before welding the ends back together.

For a "cab" in order to have something that would hold a steering column and a dash, I used two pieces of a cab cowl that I cut up to sell pieces to folks here on this forum. I measured the frame width just behind the motor and cut the two halves so that they could be welded back together to just fit the width.

Here are some picture of the chassis - I will add more in next post.

Name:  IMG_0449.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0452.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0455.JPG
Views: 497
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0456.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  106.9 KB