The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
ACK

Making Reproduction Bed Wood

In the process of replacing the truck’s bed wood and taking a little different approach. The goal is to replicate the factory boards and it appears they’re very close.

The wood is inexpensive pine, went through a 100+ pieces to get a select few with minimal or no knots. I referenced several board posts and some original planks on hand for making the cuts. There's some shaping to the grooves on the original planks that I applied to the boards, detail is drawn out below. The 7-degree angle cut on the table saw was quick and easy, the round over was done on a shaper and took a little more time and patience. Afterwards, I notched the edges about every 1-1/2’ to prevent rain water collecting in the middle of the bed.

After the wood was cut to size, shaped, and holes drilled, a coat of Solar-Lux NGR jet black dye was applied. Next step, a coating of Minwax Pro Series Antique Black exterior stain. To finish off, the boards are covered with 2 coats of boiled linseed oil with a bottle of Pearl Ex lamp black pigment mixed in. I don’t think the Pearl Ex makes a huge difference, but the end results are a very rich, dark black with distinct grain show through.

There’s a lot of work left to be done on the bed sides and frame, so the wood will go into storage for a bit, I’ll post picks when it’s together and give occasional updates on how the wood holds up. She was my daily driver, but while she’s been apart, I’ve purchased an FJ Cruiser and will be torn as to which one to drive when there’s 2 vehicles to choose from.
Attached Images