The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Bruno13

87 R10 stalls immediately after starting

Hi, I don't post often, if ever, but could use some advice.
Bought a 87 R10 2WD recently. Owner said not to use passenger side gas tank (later found out because it had a hole in it). Truck was running great on driver side tank. I decided to replace the in dash fuel tank selector switch because it looked like crap. With the new switch in, I switched back and forth on the tanks and it would only fire up after a little cranking, then sputter out. The switch was junk and I thought I may have had the tanks reversed, so I put the old switch back in. Same problem. I can hear the fuel pump. I can get it to start, but not say running without doing a lot of feathering of the gas pedal, then it eventually dies after 30 seconds or so.
My theory is that I may have picked up some sediment or other crap from the unused fuel tank, or that tanks fuel line, and clogged up my fuel filter.
I'm guessing the fuel pump relay and pump itself are ok. If I dump a little gas down the carb, it runs fine for a bit. Just seems to be starving on fuel after starting. It is a TBI carb.
Also, the oil pressure gauge does not work. I started to try and replace the oil pressure switch/sender by the distributor, but gave up as it was virtually inaccessible. I know that acts as a back up for the fuel pump relay, but it was running fine before. Only other thing I did was go through and check all the fuses before changing the switch. I have 2 fuses with no juice. One is at the bottom labeled INJ 3A, and the other is dash lights 10A. Neither of these are getting any voltage. I assume they were bad before this issue, but curious what the INJ fuse it. Injectors?
I'm hoping I just need to change the fuel filter.
Any advice from anyone is certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Bruno13 is offline   Reply With Quote