The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

As much as I am tempted to slide the stock cam back in to have a running truck right now, I think the better answer is to wait until I can get my hands on another donor truck, take all the OBD-2 goodies off of it, and then sell off what I don't need to pay for a tuner. It sucks either way, but I'd rather not break open a sealed motor. Either way, it's going to be a few hours of work. Initially, the cam and gaskets are cheaper, but parting the donor truck will negate the cost after the initial expense.

In the long run, I'm going to need to undress the top of the motor anyway, when I upgrade the cylinder heads. The stock Dodge heads are prone to cracking. EQ make replacements that out flow the stock heads straight out of the box and not have cracking issues. The cost is somewhat reasonable considering the improvements, so the OBD-2 system would be more valuable at that point, taking full advantage of the bigger cam and better heads. I just need to wait until all of that is in my budget.

-Joe