The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
sprint_9

Re: Anyone using Speed Engineering Headers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyjhen View Post
Whose motor mounts are you using?
73-87 c20 with SBC to LS adapter plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Hey Sprint, couple of questions: 1. Can you post a "side view" version of the first couple of pics you posted? And 2. Do you see any clearance issues with the column shift linkage or spark plug wires?

Thanks!

Same question for Racecougar! (If you didn't re-locate your coils)
Havent gotten far enough into my build to know anything on the shifter, but it looks like that has been answered already. I did a little on plug wire mock up and they will be tight but manageable. I am relocating my coils so I have MSD wires, the wires I got have either a 90 or multiangle, up to 45 degree straight boot. Id like to use the 90's and run down behind the headers for that clean look, I just dont think there is going to be room between the bell housing and the header to make that happen.

That plug wire clearance brings up another point that was already mentioned, and that is header to block clearance. They are fairly tight, Im going to run a wrap around blanket in hopes of avoiding any starter issues. I also had to cut a small amount out of the block on the drivers side. There is a square boss toward the rear of the block that doesnt do anything, I cut about a half inch off of that to get 1/4 inch of clearance, so it is basically flush now. No one else has mentioned this block interference so maybe that is my gen 4 block, I am not sure.

Now while I may seem to say the SE headers are tight and in general talk down on them a little above, I did also try a set of Doug Thorley long tubes. And to be fair the SE headers were alot better in my opinion. With the DT headers you didnt gain that much block clearance, and plug wire routing looked nearly impossible. My SE headers came with straight exhaust flanges while the DT's were warped. Overall some of the key things that DT had going for them was the warrenty, ceramic coating, and thicker tubing (flanges are the same), although that thicker tubing was steel vs. stainless. DT didnt hang as low either, but I like the look of the header peaking down and through the wheel well
Attached Images

sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote