The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
jarrodblake

Manual transmission thoughts for HD car hauler.

I am in need of a new transmission for my 70 C30 it was a wedge truck that has been stretched into a dovetail truck with a 17ft bed. I believe the current transmission is the SM465 and it needs completely rebuilt or replaced. I would like to replace the transmission. My first thought was to replace it with a NV4500. However I am worried about the 5th gear issue. I know there are upgrades and supposed fixes. I have no problem not being able to use 5th gear when it's loaded up my main concern is, is it too heavy as is unloaded? I want to be able to use 5th gear unloaded. The way I see it, it is about as heavy as towing an empty HD trailer as it is. Or am I putting too much thought into it? Is there a better alternative for a transmission upgrade? I want to keep it a manual. That said it still has the original 350 engine in it and it this time I don't plan on swapping it out. Though I have had the thought of throwing on a 671 blower on it, but only time will tell what I end up doing with it. So do you all think I will have any problems with the NV4500 unloaded? I plan on doing the fixes to it. if that makes a difference.

The truck.

[IMG]IMAG0862 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0860 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote