The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
64stpside

You know got a souhtern truck when......

Just replaced my rear trailing arm bushings and used no air tools!!!
I can't believe I got those 1-1/8 and 1-1/16 nuts off with out much of a fight (the bushings were shot so I'm sure the arms had never been off). Sprayed the bolts with pb blaster for 2 days prior to trying to remove them. The night I started trying to take the nuts off, I figured I would start by using my 2 foot breaker bar as it was too late to fire up the compressor and though all the bolts were tight i didn't have to use a pipe for more leverage. I only had 1 issue with the whole process. I snapped the lft side lwr coil spring bolt head off and I had to heat the lower coil spring retainer to separate the arm from the coil spring using a pry bar. The rt side came apart with no issues. Lots of red alabama dirt came out from different spots. From what I've read on here, I got really lucky to be able to to this with hand tools. I guess the PO was right when he said the truck has always stayed in alabama where it was built. I'm dang near positive I have a "A" in the vin that denotes the alabama plant.
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote