The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
68Gold/white

Anyone here own or see a 70 C10 with factory disc brakes???

I might take some heat for asking. I have read debates about the truth of this matter. Have not heard much in last few years. I have known of 2 such pickups.

First one was a doozy. I worked in an independent retail auto parts store from 1985-1998.
Had a customer come in, just happened to walk up to me, instead of one of the other guys. Said he wanted front brakes for his 70 C-10. I asked him if it was drum or disc. His jaw fell open...LOL. He said crap I've been to 3 other parts stores, they all tell me that my pickup has front drum brakes, IT DOES NOT!!!

He said he'd be doing business here, from now, was amazed that I even knew that disc was an option in 1970. I showed him the parts book, he laughed!

I have owned my 68 since 1980, had been investigating a way to convert to disc brakes shortly afterwards.

Moser lists axles to 1970 and newer for the 1/2 pickups as having the same width axle till the early 80's, these axle widths starting in 70, not 71. That would mean that the 6 lug axles in the 70 C-10's with front drum brakes would NOT work in 69 and earlier........

OK, what's your experience(s) with this???
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote