The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
brianp01

Proper drivetrain angles?

Hey guys my name is Brian, I'm currently restoring a '59 pickup. This past weekend I installed a 5.3L and 4L60 transmission. Its a stock frame with a CPP mustang II kit with 2" drop spindles, and a flipped rear end. I have been following others builds here and other sites along with using articles from HotRod and Classic Trucks for reference. This is my first time installing a motor and transmission, so I just want to make sure before I go any further that I'm on the right track.

Here's what I did:

- leveled the frame, supported it with jack stands in order to get clearance for the engine dolly.

- fit the motor, centered it between the frame rails, with clearance for the PS rack, firewall and proper clearance for the oil pan. Leveled the motor left to right. Supported the transmission with blocks. At this point the drive train was pitching back about 3 degrees.

- fit and welded LS200 motor mounts kit from WelderSeries.com, these worked out well, really nice kit.

- began to fit CPP transmission cross member, removed the support blocks form earlier. To get the cross member to fit correctly with the frame rail and on the transmission everything needed to tilt down quite a bit. In doing this the motor and tranny pitched a bit more, actually a lot more, now the motor is pitched backwards about 5-6 degrees. I have not welded the cross member in yet, I was thinking I may shim it somehow or modify it to get the original motor/trans 3 degree tilt back, but I want to double check things here, get others advice before I proceed forward.

- I have the rear end's pinion angle tilting 3 degrees upward, but haven't welded the perches to the axle tubes yet, once again waiting to confirm I have things right before I go any further

The pictures show some of the steps I took. The second side view showing the motor/tranny 3 degree pitch when I had the transmission supported and the third side view showing the latest 5-6 degree pitch with the transmission cross member mocked up.

Is the 5-6 degree pitch too much? Should I go back to the 3 degrees?

Thanks for any and all help, advice and tips, it's all greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

brianp01 is offline   Reply With Quote