The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
jarrodblake

Heavy wheels On C30 dually, How Heavy is too Heavy?

I am in the middle of Building my Dream Tow rig. Its a 1970 C30 The plan is Convert it to disk brakes and hydro boost for my brake setup the disk brake kit I am looking at says I need 17 inch wheels or bigger. It currently has 16" dually wheels and I have been looking at getting a set of 20s however I can not find anything that I like. Except one set of wheel style but it turns out that it is a inner wheel only they don't make an outer version of it. So I thought about getting a set of 22 semi wheels and having them milled down but I don't like the lowpro tires for towing and I want to keep the tire size at 31 inches as that is the sweet spot for my gear ratio. So I came across a set of Military 20" X 8" MRAP DUALLY WHEELs in 10 X 11.25" BOLT HUTCHINSON ALUMINUM MAXXPRO PLUS. I would still have to run adapters but I can run a standard 20" tire in 285/50R20 the tires are cheap and come in high load ratings. However the downside is the wheels weigh 82LBS each without the tire! They would probably weigh 120LBS+ with the tire. I just dont know if it will affect the truck any. I ran hummer wheels and tires with the stock runflats inner on my last rock crawler Jeep LJ I built it had a 5.9 magnum with a dana 44 front and a 60 in the rear with 456 gears the wheels and tires weighed 168LBS each and you would have never known they where there. Its just I have been reading a lot of threads on the 22" semi wheels about having problems with them being heavy and they only weigh around 52LBS each.

That said other planed mods are,
I have a nv4500 getting ready to go in and I may diesel swap it. I can get a chevy 6.2 out of an RV with 28k on it for cheap, I already have a Hx35 holset I can through on it. I also have access to a 24 valve cummins but its not cheap and has a 180k on it.

The truck they will go on.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...00#post8068700

The 20" wheels I want but won't work because they are inners only. I have emailed the company about making a full set. It looks like they could just mill the bolt holes down on both sides to accept lug nuts.

Here is the Military 20" X 8" MRAP DUALLY WHEELs I love the looks of them I think they would look Great with a full polish!

So are they too heavy? I'm not concerned about gas milage.
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote