The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Oh Nuts!

I'm reassembling the front end of my '72 c10.

I had the bright idea of throwing ALL of the bolts, nuts, washers, clips, ETC. Into a bucket thinking "I'll remember where they go...." 😒

Needless to say 8 months later my "Photographic Memory" is a little fuzzy. 😁
I do possess the service manual, factory assembly manual, access to the internet, and this wonderful website.

I've managed to figure out most of what goes where with just plain common sense, (that bolt is to big/small to go there, I'd have way to many left over bolts if I use these there, I dont have enough bolts to put these there, etc.)

What I'm stuck on is which bolts/clips/nuts to use for the outer fender to core support, core support to outer fender gussets, hood catch to core support, hood catch to center grille support, center grille support to core support, and center grille support to inner grille and the outer grille. I think they are all 5/16" bolts with captured washers for most part. But there are different lengths and different size washers(small or wide), some are tapered, tapered and fully threaded, or standard bolt end.
Obviously there are certain bolts for certain areas, I dont have the luxury of being able to count out the bolts to single out their uses because there are standard bolts and nuts that were used as a "quick fix" by the previous owner.
I have my inner fender to outer fender, and fender to cab bolts figured out. So I'm good there.

Pics would be awesome and very much appreciated.
I wish these old manuals were just a little more detailed on the bolts in these areas. But heck, I'm thankful they even exist.☺

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote