The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Engine Dilemas and pitfalls

Hello and good day. Any input?? Hope all is great!

My Edelbrock EFI conversion was to take place during a head gasket repair. Well, my mechanic called me today to inform me of a 3" horizontal crack in the block about 1/2" below bottom edge of the valve cover and in the middle of the engine. So,, 65K on a nice running 383 and I pretty much have to tank the engine. Looks as though it froze one time. I have always had 50/50 mix and although I go skiing and the truck has seen 15 degree weather, I cannot figure out when it froze. I think it was a bad block to begin with, and had previously been frozen and with being put in to service as a rebuild, it merely made it open up after a decade...

Anyway, next year I was going to do the 700r4 conversion. But I had always told myself if the engine had to come out of the truck than I would do the 700r4 then. So now is not a good time because I now I have to buy a Motor.. And that is a minimum of 3K for a quality local built 383, or the GM performance engine that is $4100... Yea, Chevy makes a 340 horse 383 with roller cam, 9; 1 with vortec heads. Doesn’t that sound nice??

Common sense says the that a local built motor done by a respected machinist and engine builder would be a fine fine motor.. But then to have the newest technology in the Brand New GM 383 is hard to refuse. Even though once I get the Edelbrock EFI on there, I bet I would hardly notice a difference..

If it was just the 1100 bucks more for the engine, then not to bad. But because I intend on doing the 700r4 conversion I have some throw away money by going to the GM motor.

The issues are, I need a new flywheel because the newer blocks have single piece rear main seal. The flywheels are different. I have to pay 300 bucks for this flywheel.. Now consider that I have to replace the clutch unless it was fairly new. I have to replace that. 200 bucks for plate, disc, bearing so as to make sure if a tranny conversion gets put off I have a good strong clutch in this thing.

Also, the EFI kit that I have already purchased is for the older style heads. So that would have to go back and cost me 300 more for the kit that is designed to work with vortec heads.

So, not to mention the hassle, to go to the GM motor it costs me $800 bucks plus the 1100(over a local rebuild motor). a $1900 dollar difference. The only think I get to keep out of the upgrade to the GM motor if I don't do the 700r4 now is the 300 bucks that I would have had to spend for the vortec EFI Kit.. So a net loss of 500 bucks right off the bat.

whutcha think?
stringpickin is offline   Reply With Quote