The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
viKING40

Thoughts Regarding Wheel and Axle Swap on 59 Viking 40

I have a 59 Viking 40 (1 1/2 ton) which has 20” multi-piece rims (with tube tires). I have decided that I don’t care to continue to run them, the original wheels were 22.5 tubeless. I want to go with 22.5 wheels going forward (and it is well documented on the forums that the 55-59 1 1/2 tons are hard wheels to find), so I have planned three courses of action and would like to hear other’s perspective if they care to share:

1: buy custom steel wheels from Wheels Now
2: get custom (buy or make myself) adapters for the current axles to fit late model big bore/bolt circle wheels
3: swap axles from a ford f-450/550 (Dana front and rear), which would also mean I need wheel adapters (but can be bought, not custom made).

I am leaning towards #3 even though there is more work, as I can also pull the power steering, ABS and power disc brakes and sway bars (I live in an urban/suburban area and want to do truck stuff in congested areas so these benefits are significant to me). I should also add that the frame rail width is with 0.20 in between the Viking and 450/550 with front track (15 in wider on the 450/550) being the only significant challenge to address (the rest is just lots of work!).

It is a big undertaking so i’d appreciate some thoughts from the community getting to 22.5” rims.

Thanks in advance
viKING40 is offline   Reply With Quote