The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
MeanGreenMachine

Talking New Poster / Seeking Advice

Greetings from a longtime lurker and first time poster!

I've had a 72 C10 (hugger orange and white) with a standard 350 for a little over a year. I've used this board as a great source of info in my creative thoughts about what to do with my old chevy to make it a bit more eye-pleasing and comfortable as a daily driver. My bench seat is about dead, have no AC and am noticing the rust creap up in the usual places. I was just on the verge of forking out a few thousand to either restore her to her former glory or customize her into a nice rod since I have a mere 7 miles for a daily commute when I came across something that caught my eye. It was a dark olive green and white 72 Cheyenne Super with a 402, tilt, AC, trim in an almost pristine state. I stoped out of mere amuzement and asked the fella how much he was asking for it. It was coated in a film of dirt and leaves with a tarp covering the bed but when he stated "I'm asking $1200 but I'd take $1000 cash.", I simply had to take a second look. 98,000 original miles. He's the 2nd owner and replaced the radiator, rebuilt the AC, and given her a new carb over the past 5 years. I went back to my ole' hugger orange and white gal and told her she'd have to wait on lookin' pretty as she was about to get a new sister. 2 hours and a public notary later, I had my wife drop me off and drove her home. She's gonna need a trip to the muffler shop, a few good hours of cleaning her up, a new headliner & door skins as well as the carpet cleaned like there is no tomorrow to get a bit of the musty aroma from out of the cab but she oughta be looking good with a week or two.

It has the dealer installed dual Travel Tanks, but the previous owner stated he never used them due to the "spontaneous combustion scare." I've been reading about swapping the cab tank out for a blazer tank but am not sure if it is worth all the work. Anyone done the swap that regrets it?

I'm also looking at removing the bench seat and storing it. It looks good but I hate bench seats due to back problems. This is ultimately why I'm interested in swapping out the tank. Anyone converted a bench seat to 2 buckets with a center console while still using the in-cab tank and it fit while still looking good?

Thanks in advance,
MeanGreenMachine

PS: Not my new truck, but sure looks just like it minus the saddle travel tanks...
MeanGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote