The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Second Series

Modified Hydraulic lifters in a 235

Has anyone modified the Hydraulic lifters and pushrods in a 235? Are there any longterm damages from this? I have a '59 235 with Hydraulic cam and lifters. I took it to a shop and had the valves adjusted awhile ago. Ever since then, it started to pop like a popcorn popper after I drove it for more than 2 or 3 errands - Drive it, stop, start it, drive some more, stop, start it, then it starts popping. I suspected a lifter problem since it never did this before the valve adjustment. It was always noisy, but the valve adjustment helped some. I found this mod for hydraulic lifters: http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/2013/...c-lifters.html
I finally got around to looking into this and tore into the engine the other day. There were 3 kinds of lifters. 2 had a hole on top, 10 had no hole on top, 4 were shorter(the body-the cup was at the same level as the rest). They looked ok other than being different. I took the grinder to the pushrods and the lifters with no hole on top. I reassembled and started it up. It was typically noisy. I let it run for awhile and then it got real quiet. I am happy with this mod. I'll have to take it on the road to see if it had any effect on the popping though. I have never machined any engine internals before. I was just holding these by hand and the groove in the bottom of the pushrod was not pretty. The pushrods spin while the engine runs. Does this groove wear on the cup in the lifter?
Second Series is online now   Reply With Quote