The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Preparing to lift engine and transmission - More questions

71 C-10 402/400TH

EDIT: Like everything else on these trucks, once done you realize it's easy.

I'm green to all of this. I have to pull the engine and trans. for a stripped frame, and I'd like to double check on the process. Word is it's easier to pull the transmission with the block, and then separate.

1. If I recall, first thing is to "break" the bolts loose which fasten the flex plate to the torque converter, so they're easier to take off when the engine/trans are off the frame? Snug em up some for the pull of course. On a side, I picked up a plate turning tool, works awesome.

2. What do you think of using the inner bolt holes on the heads (referenced by image and captions) to lift the block and transmission. Sure, I know a carb. plate can be used with a cast iron intake. But this is a BBC/400TH, and I prefer the safest method. For what it's worth, the block is stripped less a crank pulley...........................BTW, I tried a couple extractors on the busted bolt, unsuccessfully. Thing was a real *&%*%%, extremely hard material. I couldn't drill through without a large bit. Small bits would only go so far, and from there they just spun.

3. I'll lay the transmission on a platform to separate it from the block. I didn't want to risk damaging the existing pan, so I picked up repop. pan for $20. I suppose the transmission doesn't have to be covered, but seems cleaner to have one and $20 is cheap insurance.

4. I take it the crank shaft runs into the torque converter? How does this disconnect, or does it? Can I leave the crank pulley? Other than the obvious (engine/transmission mounts), anything else I need to look for? I realize the transmission slides into dowels fixed on the block.

Thank you
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-20-2018 at 06:11 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote