The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
Killer Bee

Re: NOS Cab Roof Marker Clearance Light Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aultro View Post
my marker lights turn off when the headlights come on. Would there be a way to wire the cab lights to be on with the markers and headlights?
Posted via Mobile Device
not sure what model truck yer workin' on but the position of the h/l switch you're tapped into may be source of your trouble..

on my '65 C20;
  • h/l switch in the first position switches on the front and rear running lights..
  • h/l switch in the second position turns on the headlights and the front running lights turn off while the rear running lights remain on..

so this may also be the operation of the headlight switch in your truck..

if so, you would want the rear running light pole off the switch to activate the running lights..

without knowing the amp draw of the five lamps in your clearance lights or the amp rating of that position of the h/l switch, you may want to install a relay..

run the primary side of the relay through the rear running lamp pole of the h/l switch and run the clearance lamp circuit through the secondary side of the relay through a rated fuse or c/b to B+

I would look for a factory accessory tap on the main fuse panel but you may prefer to run directly to battery or a junction block you may have already installed..

if you can determine the h/l switch is rated for direct load, a proper splice there at the switch would be preferred..

you may also want to research the h/l switch p/n options to determine whether a higher rated h/l switch was used on factory clearance light equipped trucks..

if your not sure what you have, some basic circuit testing should solve your mystery..

good luck!