The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
streetstar

New truck - restore to factory correct - or mild custom?

Posted some initial pics of my new truck a few days ago

Its good fun --- the simple joy of vinyl seats means I can give my furry friends a ride in it with a pretty simple cleanup process after -- seats pretty broken down and the 80's era Grant wheel has got to go

Truck wasn't/ isn't perfect but it makes for a clean driver , however ---- now that i've had it a few days, I am already spending imaginary money on a different wheelset, slipping some oak in the bed in place of the worn out pine, lowering it with a 2.5/4" drop and in general fixing the discrepancies I see - that type of thing

-- SPID showing a factory big block and CST package but not anything else too out of the ordinary --- odd that it has a tach dash, its a 5000 rpm truck tach and not a Camaro tach either, but SPID doesn't mention it - PO states he didn't monkey with it and purchased it as an unrestored survivor a decade ago, then had it re-painted, ----- but the SPID also only mentions beltline moldings, and I have seen them list both moldings on other spid's
---- Are there sometimes omissions on stuff like that on these?

Ive got a significant box from the PO containing the original intake, q-jet, ac and PS brackets and pumps and a few other items

Not that the engine looks bad, but to my eyes it would look better with shorty valve covers and an oem style breather assembly than the pseudo hot rod Moroso stuff that leaks too much

A good friend who deals more in the muscle car side of the world looked at the truck, looked at the SPID, -- then advised me to "tread lightly" with the mods. Adding that I should repair the known issues that bug me, restore the correct engine pieces (as I had already planned) ,
but perhaps ease off on lowering it, -- he even suggested I source some steelies and repro wheel covers for it.

After trying to find some buckets to have rebuilt, I was seriously considering installing the vintage looking ProCar setup with a repro console

None of the things I am contemplating are irreversible, but my buddy advised that big block CST's are the "SS" of sorts of the truck world and as such shouldn't be messed with too much

Partially agree, but then again, -- its not a Jaguar E-Type, and its already had one re-spray

I'm guessing the collective on here would proceed kind of like I was already going to proceed, --- customize a little bit to put my mark on it, but don't do anything non-reversible, and just drive it

What say you guys' ?

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 01-24-2018 at 05:53 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote