The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Anthony60

Hello and help with emergency brake cables

Hi to everyone. First time poster. Thank you to everyone for all your efforts to keep this site up and running. Thanks for being civil and kind to those of us with problems. I have always loved this era of trucks and have several projects waiting. Hopefully life will give me the time and energy to enjoy them. I am located in Southern Alberta and am presently working on a dusty 1968 C10 shortbox. I have it down to the frame and am presently reassembling it. I have installed a front cross member and a differential from a 1972 C10. I am at my wits end trying to get the emergency brake cable hooked up as it is too short by about 3 inches if I route the cable like a longbox. The cables are all new (Dorman) and seem to be the correct ones. They are however not exact replacements for the ones that came with the truck, except the intermediate cable which is the exact same length. My questions are (1) Does the cable run through the cross member in the holes as in Pic#1 or do they go in the holes closest to the main frame as in a long box? With the cable in the inner holes I am able to hook the cable up as shown (Pic#2) but without the guide hooks as they are now too short . (2) Are the guide hooks used (Pic#3) on a short box or are the only used on long box trucks? (3) Could I have messed up the installation inside the actual brake drum to be causing this problem? I have had the brakes apart several times, and all seems in order.
I have searched in the manuals that I have, but cannot find an answer. Hopefully someone will be able to help me. Thank-you very much. Tony
Attached Images

Anthony60 is offline   Reply With Quote