The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Nobighurry

1970 C60 brake concerns

Looking for some input - I purchased a 1970 C60 ex-firetruck last year. It was converted to a flatbed farm vehicle sometime after 2011. The truck is in overall really good shape with only 35k miles. Since purchasing, I gutted the wiring and installed a AAW kit, got everything working (electrically speaking), converted it to HEI, replaced some other engine components to improve its road worthiness. Here's my dilemma, because the brakes are so important, i decided to have them gone through professionally by a big truck service center. They replaced the all 4 rear cylinders, inspected the fronts, shoes were in good shape. Replaced the vacuum booster. The master cylinder was replaced just before I purchased it. So here's the issue, the pedal is still very spongy. It has a very long reach before engaging. Once it engages, the stopping is sure and effective. While I don't expect the pedal to be as responsive as today's vehicles, I would expect it to be better than it is. Can anyone provide insight as to whether the described is accurate performance of the brakes? I appreciate all input
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote