The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
These are parent bore blocks and do not have sleeves. You will have to hone or bore to the correct size. I'd open up the piston to cylinder wall clearance a little more than OE specs too since you'll be boring and putting new pistons in. If you had low oil pressure issues, I'd be checking the rocker arm trunions and cam bore. These only have 1 cam bearing in them. The front journal behind the gear housing. The rest the cam rides right on the block. Also, I'd send your injection pump in and have it checked over too. It receives oil pressure from the engine and if it was ran low or out of oil can be very bad for it too.

To me, if your piston was seizing or scored the #6 cylinder, chances are the engine was over heated or someone had it cranked up pretty good and was not watching the pyro. If the oil pump was the culprit, you'd have bearing failure before that #6 cylinder has issues. I've seen this a lot on p-pump 12v's.
Ryan,

Thanks for all the info. Just understand I have guys who are certified Cummins experts who do this stuff all the time, some of them are master mechanics and are experts in these engines. So whatever they say to do that is what is going to happen on this rebuild. Trust me when I say that having your Territory Manger mad at you is never a good thing so they know to do this job with 100% focus and attention to detail. I know my guys are going to give me the absolute best product possible. Plus we are all really good friends too, so that makes it fun. You should hear them every day asking when are they going to be able to start on it. They want to see it run almost worst than I do...

So we shall see how this plays out. I'm very sure and confident that the guys I work with will take great care of me the whole way.
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote