The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
davepl

Brake Problem 10 Years, Never Solved! - Clevis Adjustment?

Short version: Has anyone had a brake issue created or resolved by adjusting the pedal angle via the clevis?

Not my blue truck, but I've had a brake problem for 10 years. No one has ever been able to solve it. Everything has been replaced and rebuilt and the problem remains... so where does it hide?

Here's the problem: you cannot panic brake. If you attempt to, the pedal responds but slowly. So about 1/2 second later you get full braking which is more than adequate.

So braking is powerful, but slow to respond. This started when I first added rear discs from a Master Power kit, but I'd also upgraded fronts and master at the same time. So the last time it responded well was drum brakes.

I have this same vehicle in a factory disc-drum setup and that's all I want, it to respond as well as the stock one I have!

Here's just a bit of what I've done:

I replaced the master.
I replaced the booster.
I tried a Hydraboost for more assist.
Various different pad materials for different grips.
I had the car fully restored, all new lines and distribution blocks, etc.

It still remained!

So since everything was now new and the problem remained, I threw in the towel and put a full four-wheel Wilwood disc brake setup on it. Everything from the booster to the rotors is Wilwood.

Same problem.

After 10 years of trying everything and 5 shops and no ideas, I just gave up and don't really drive it. But I'd still like to fix it.

Then this month I was reading a magazine tech article about a guy describing the same thing, who's done all the same things, and he's concluded then that since he's replaced everything, and describing the same slow-to-respond problem, that it can only be in the pedal adjustment because that's all that's left!

The magazine response wasn't helpful, but someone else had the same problem.

The brake pedal is adjusted to be about as high as the clutch pedal right now.

Before I try to change it though, here's my question:

Has anyone had a brake issue created or resolved by adjusting the pedal angle via the clevis?

That's really my question for today!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote