The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
hotwls13

Truck Bed Issues, should I look for replacement?

I bought this 70 GMC 1/2T longbed last Friday. When I purchased it, the bed floor was full of stuff (including dirt, trash and a full length rubber mat). After getting it home, the bed was the first thing I cleaned out.

Also of note is the fact that previous owner started a rear frame mount gas tank swap but didn't finish. Bed was just sitting on frame/tank when I got it. I'm in the process of getting the bed off to do the crossmember notch and figure out gas fill line etc.

Anyway, after cleaning out the bed I saw that a partial bed floor replacement had been welded in at some point.

Now that I am taking off the bed I realized that the forward 4 bed bolts are still in. The added bed floor panel was welded over the old one and therefore covers the bed bolt heads.

So, I have some options. My plans for this truck is for it to be a driver, throwing a rubber mat over the bed floor (probably after ratllecanning it or doing the bedliner thing).

My options are:

1. Leave the captured bolts as they are (assuming they are in the carriage slot and don't spin). Finish bed and tank work, put the bed back on and bold down.

2. Figure out where the bolt heads are on the welded in panel (either by measuring or banging on the bottom of the bolts to make an impression), drill out the bed surface above the bolt heads so I can get the bolts out, then use bolts/washers for those 4 holes.

3. Look for a replacement bed. I think there is a metal floor longbed in town in decent shape for around $350. This bed/bedsides aren't in that great of shape anyway.

Lastly, I'm not going to take the time to cutout the bedfloor and do a proper repair/replace. Just not worth it to me and not where I want to spend my time/money on this truck.

Thoughts???
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote