The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Funstuie

76 - C10 - Wiring upgrades/replacements/options

Hey all,

I've had my C10 for about 6 weeks and I am really enjoying driving it. But years of previous owners bodge jobs on the wiring has left it in a bit of mess.

So first up - the main functions work - it starts and drives without issue, the headlights and other exterior lights work.

Internally the dome light works, the floor light works occasionally, the cluster lights don't work. Someone has very crudely installed a JVC head unit (around 15 years ago) and although it works it can only pick up one station and has no connectivity options (Bluetooth, aux in, tape).

I finally got up under the dash and had a good look around. It's a rats nest. There are wires dangling everywhere, lots of ends not connected to anything. The original fuse box is still there with glass fuses and worryingly some wires just shoved in.

Also, there are two speakers behind the bench seat. they sound fine but the wires have just been run under the carpet.

So I would like to upgrade/clean up/replace the wiring in the cab (at least as a start). I have been looking at wiring harness' and it's a nightmare trying to work out what's what. Electrics are not really my thing. Also, I don't really have the option to take the truck off the road for an extended time. Would this be a project I could do over a weekend?

Finally in the current configuration (old fuse box etc) is there a way I could install a charge port so I can charge my phone?

I will post some pictures later of the current wiring for reference.

- 1976 C10, Stepside, shortbed, 5.7l V8, Auto.
Funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote