The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
davepl

Re: How to remove and install new Lug Studs DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never use an impact. I also do this with hub off vehicle, except for roadside emergency (where's the press when you need it?). I do things by hand so my well experienced hands can "feel" what I'm doing. Not sure how old you are Dave, but there is a perfectly good excuse for doing it the way I have been for about 45 years and learned from old mechanics that would put most anyone here to shame. The ones who can do magic with whatever is available to them, no matter how primitive. The perfectly good excuse I give is real simple, It works perfectly fine...never spun a stud in my life. I'm not offended, but I have a habit of setting things straight when they fall out of line. No offense intended either.
There's a lot of stuff I learned from old mechanics that was wrong. Now 96% of it was right, but this part is wrong.

Not my intention to offend either, but once a stud has been overstressed it loses its tensile elasticity. Hammering out is probably fine. But pulling in can wreck a stud.

What really matters, however, is whether drawing it through actually overstresses it. Without a torque wrench or digital block to go out and measure it, I can't -prove- to you that it stretches them. I just worried that it does. But I can't prove it, so call me a worry wort or whatever, but...

Tell you what - I haven't looked in the shop manual. Odds are whatever they say is the right way to do it.

Last edited by davepl; 04-23-2018 at 12:27 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote