The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #1
DavidButler

Front Axle Swap

Hi,
Needing help again please.(For a change!)
My 1952 3100 pickup I am restoring appears to have been dragged up mount Everest by a chain around the middle of the front axle. The result is a banana like shape and the inability to fit all 4 u Bolts because the two axle webs that the springs seat on are now diverging from each other.
As I see it I have two possible solutions:
1: Remove axle and take it to a metal workers with a suitable press to bend it back into shape, currently about a 2" set out of true along axle centre line, measured at axle centre. Anybody any ideas as to the kind of tonnage press I need to be looking for?
2: I have been offered to purchase a front axle complete with spindles and discs from a 1942 Chevy pickup. Can any body advise if this axle will fit my 1952 standard set up? Geographically its at the other end of the country to me so I would just send a carrier in to collect rather than measure before buying.

As usual all help would be greatly appreciated.
DavidButler is offline   Reply With Quote