The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Angry Power steering problems, need HELP!!!

I posted this over on the suspension board too.

I put power steering on the 68 (2wd), took all the parts from a 72 2wd. I finally got the pulley today that matches the billet ones I am running on the motor. I have had nothing but problems since.

I can't get rid of the grinding/whining noise. Now, I don't litterally mean "grinding", but I can't spell the noise You know the noise I mean, the sound the pump usually makes when it is really low on fluid.

I have bled the crap out of this thing, 3 quarts worth! I am bleeding it at the steering gear on the pressure hose. I just can't get rid of the noise, and it turns like crap too. When going from lock to lock, it has spots where it is easy to turn (like it should), and spots where it is tight. I have adjusted the gear box several times, nothing. And that is with the front end off the ground. Drive it and it is worse, then it makes that damn noise that I can't get rid of!

Now, the pump is a reman unit. I have had it about 7 years, BUT, it has been tightly sealed in the same thick plastic bag it came in when I bought it, still covered in the fluid that it was shipped in, so everything was still nice and soft, not hard or brittle (o-rings I mean). As far as I know, the gear box should be OK. I got everything from the donar truck except for the pump, and I took the pump from a 72 4wd and installed the new/remaned pump I already had. Everything on the pump went together the reverse as it came apart. I double checked that the pressure side went in correctly, and it all looks right.

HELP!! I have no more $$$ to put into this thing! I may put the manual gear back on for now until I can figure this thing out.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote