The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #24
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: Engine temperature gauge

Most of the guys that don't like working with the factory gauges are not that smart.They might be old But they like to cut corners.I had this same problem did the same thing.I found out that some time throw the years you have a internal wire fail got hot and burned one of the wires in your fuse block harness.Now you could fend the nest 3 weeks unraveling the back tape to find the problem.But if you install in new factory M&H harness and fuse block that will Fix your problem.I like the factory gauges from 1964--66 Chevy trucks only.I've log more miles on one truck then most of these guys have owned there trucks.Being in the one business that tears up trucks.Mine survived.I have a 1965 3/4 ton 2 speed power glide with a 4.10 gear ran that truck for 17 years and still have it.I have changed almost every part on this truck.The gauges did the same as yours do.But i had a fire in my cab when i was 17 a wire fire.So i only had to deal with the High temp for 1 year when i replaced my full harness with the re pop M&H harness All my problems went away I even got my hi beams back.I was told by the old Farts back when i was a kid never hook up the volt meter.It was a problem child from the start.But i loved my gauges.Never blown a head gasket on my later 1986 350 that i put over 750,000 miles on.I even wore out the fuel pump lobe on the cam.So ya i do be leave i have room to talk about these trucks.I fixed the high reving problem with my 4.56 gear i had i swapped a 4.10 punkin in and put the 235/85/16 tires on i could cruise at 70 only tacking 3000 RPMs Improved my gas mileage as well by going up to 13 from 8 miles per gallon.I even got a guy that was 70 year old put in something extra on my truck that the 1977 1 tons had.When you carrying a load there is a leaver under the bed on the rear end that intensifies the rear brakes.Ya I've done a lot of testing over the last 20 years.Been hit by 3 drunk drivers from behind.So glade i installed a heavy duty hitch and left that heavy bumper.So ya I like factory stuff some times i really works.Plus when you do the maintenance your suppose to do instead of drinking your parts away.
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote