The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
HRD

Trying to get it going and found this

Pulled the master cylinder off my 51 GMC that I'm going through checking just to get back on the road.
Truck was last tagged in 1969. I found it in a barn in the early 2000's. Had it towed home. Put a fresh battery, points and a gallon or two gas in it and fired it up. Ran good I thought. It has a Chevy 235 from 58- 62 as best as I can trace the casing #'s.
No brakes though. Made a few rounds in the back yard with 3 tires that would hold some air and a flat, then backed it into it's new storage shed. 18 years or so has gone by.
Time to get it going and back out on the road. Decide what I want to do from that point. First, just get it going and stopping.
Piddled with it since fathers days. Same routine as above except fresh gas from a temp jug. She woke up.
Has a miss but I'll do a complete tune up and oil change before I try and drive her.
Brakes!, got to have them. Put new shoes, springs, adjusters, wheel cylinders and cylinder lines on and decided I'd pull the master today. So glad I did. This is what fell out when I pulled the bore cap off.
This was all in the bore. The fluid and inside the reservoir truly looked good.
Ran out of cleaning fluid, so decided to finish when I pick up a rebuild kit. Lucky me, the cylinder bore looks good with no pitting so for. (the pics are when I first broke it open) So glad I didn't try and bleed these brakes yet. This crap would for sure plug a line.
Going to break the lines at the wheels and blow them out good before I proceed.
Anything else anyone know of I should look at on these brakes that I might be missing?
Attached Images