The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
66_C20

Start of my 66 C20 Build

So the truck itself is a 1966 C20 longbed. The story behind it... as far back as I know of, the truck belonged to my grandfather, we had a family farm where the truck has been parked ever since I can remember. My grandad got pretty sick when I was about 5 or 6 years old (29 now) so my parents along with my sister and I moved close to them to help out on the farm. So as far back as I can remember, I’ve never seen that truck move from the side of the barn up until about two weeks ago. Very long time. When my grandfather passed away, he left the truck to my dad who always intended to fix it up but never got around to it and when he passed away back in 2015, I inherited it. So I’m making it a priority to get the truck fixed up.

It’s going to be a fairly slow process since I’m in the military stationed in NC and the truck is back home in Alabama. However, I did make it home for these past two weeks and got a little work done on it. I don’t really have the room at my home in NC for another vehicle, I already have a Jeep, Camaro, and motorcycle so I’ll be taking a trip home probably once a month for about 4ish days to work on it little by little.

The overall intent for the truck is to just keep it a nice looking cruiser that I can drive to work a few times a week. It’s not going to be crazy custom or bagged out but it’s not going to be kept all original either although I would like to keep it as C20ish as I can. The truck is a three on the tree which I want to keep and I have a Chevy big block I’d like to put in it. Don’t know if those will play nice together. I’d like to add power steering, power brakes, and A/C as well. As for the interior, I just want to restore it and get it looking nice, keep the old bench seat and have it recovered to look nice, and the exterior will just have the sheet metal fixed and a nice coat of paint sprayed down. Finally for the stance, I would like to drop it some, how much though I have no idea but I would like to put a set of Detroit Steel Wheels 20” smoothies on it also (and keep the 8 lug wheel pattern).

Below are some pictures of the rust bucket and I mean it, she’s pretty rough. I’ll also add pictures of the progress over the past two weeks as well as plans and questions for the next trip down here in a few weeks to work on it.

66_C20 is offline   Reply With Quote