The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
HRD

My headache for today

As stated in another thread, Trying to get it going I'm doing a complete brake overhaul on a 51 GMC with a 58/62 Chevy 235 motor installed.
Picture 1 is the new master installed.
Picture 2 is the brake petal rod mount from under the truck.
Picture 3 is the brake petal rod mount point looking down.
Picture 4 is the old rod mount collar taken off and the new rod to connect at that point.
My problem is the new rod collar hits that motor mount. The new rod is about a 1/2 inch to long but I can shorten that to give me some adjustment room as for as the length goes.
In picture 2 you can see the end of a 1/4 inch flat bar cut and placed under the mount. Why that's there I'm unsure. Yes, it's on both sides and drilled and mounted with the bolts that fasten the mount to the cross member. Even if I was able to lift the motor enough to get those out, I still don't think I'd have the clearance room I need for the rod collar.
I'm thinking if I took my angle grinder and cut out enough on the top of that mount that I can give myself the clearance I need for it to fit and not bind/catch anywhere.
That is hard rubber around the metal in that mount and I'm wandering if that might be to much heat being generated?
I'm looking for ideals and thoughts on what to do.
Attached Images

Last edited by HRD; 07-27-2018 at 07:32 PM.
HRD is offline   Reply With Quote