The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

AArrgghhh...trouble with Yeller

OK folks, haven't posted here much lately, mainly because I am sick and tired at the moment with my truck.

Here are the two problems I have encountered as of late...

According to everyone I have talked to and everything I have read, when swapping out a SB for a BB you do NOT need to change out your engine stands or mounts. So taking that advice, I put the 454 in using the existing small block mounts and plates and everything bolted up perfectly and appeared to be fine. Just recently, after putting the cab on the frame, I noticed I now only have maybe 1/2" of room between the top of the transmission and the transmission tunnel...looks and feels waaay too close for my personal belief. So after going back and forth with another member here, and after calling my local GM dealership, there are in fact different engine stands for the BB equipped trucks. I just recently purchased the stands used from the previously mentioned member and am now awaiting for them to arrive. I am hoping the stands will move the engine down a little in the frame and gain me some more clearance. Has anyone else ever heard of this or experienced the same situation before? I am hoping the new stands don't move the engine forward more (I am plenty good for clearance there), if it does, then I might have to pull the damn cab off and re-drill new holes in the frame for the trans cross member.

Here is my second dillema...

I purchased some used Hooker Super Comp headers off E-bay (got a helluva deal), part number 2841. I went to put these on to check clearances (because of the above mentioned problem), and it turns out the collectors hit the trans cross member and will ot allow me to bolt them up. They barely hit, but even if they did bolt up, the collectors would be directly in front of the cross member and would not allow me to run the rest of the exhaust! I checked online and there are no provisions or keynotes stating these will not fit for whatever reason, so I am stumped here as well. Any suggestions on this as well? If it helps, I switched from a th350 to a 700r4, and actually had to move the cross member back to bolt up the trans...not only that, but there is no way to mess that up (the location of the x-member)...it has to sit where it sits.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am frustrated and would love to hear any and all ideas you may have. Mike, I am starting to feel like you do with your disc brake dillema!

Thanks!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote