The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I need to quit being so lazy

I was driving the 79 yesterday and noticed the inspection sticker was out. I knew I needed to rebuild the Q-jet on it but thought I would try to get it inspected anyway. Too lazy to put a kit in the carb you know?

So I take it in and tell the guy it probably wouldn't pass emissions being as the carb was in bad shape. He puts the machine on manual so it won't be hooked up to the states computers. This way if it don't pass, it won't cost me anything. The standard for HC in our state is 220. My 85 with all I've done to it never gets over 100. Well last year it did for the first time simply because I installed so of the .015" steel shim head gaskets last year to up the compression some. I think it was 103. Before this it was usually around 50 to 60.

Anyway he sticks the sniffer in the tailpipe and the HC was hitting anywhere from 850 to 900. WOW. I knew it needed the carb rebuilt and was using too much gas, but damn. I very seldom drive it so I had been putting it off. I decided to finally rebuild the Q-jet. Got it back on a little while ago. It's like a different truck. No more skip or gas smell out the tailpipe. Didn't have time to get it by for the inspection. I'll get it done tomorrow. We'll see how much the rebuilt carb helps.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote