The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
dc2842002

69 C15 Build Thread

**Edit - Pictures now appear to be working but I had to add them as attachments instead of embedding them**

Hello all, I am new to the forum but have been hanging around for a while. I am starting this thread to document the build of my 69 C15 LWB. Below is a picture of the truck when I started. The truck had been sitting for 14 years or so.

Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  71.0 KB

My plan for the truck is to get it as close to laying frame as I can without spending a fortune on aftemarket parts. I started by removing the cab, bed, engine, and transmission. I then pressure washed as much of the 50 years of grease and dirt as I could

Name:  IMG_0649.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  98.1 KB

Next I put it up on the frame table to get the stock suspension off and start the modifications.

Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  49.5 KB

Then I removed the suspension and front crossmember.

Name:  IMG_0678.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  63.2 KB

I then wet blasted the crossmember so that I would get it pancaked.

I cut 1.5" out of the crossmember. The picture below is before the final trimming for a nice tight gap on the welds.

After getting the crossmember tacked back together I cut the braces off and test fir it on the frame. The wood in the picture below is a gauge that lines up with the lowest part of the frame.

After the fit check looked good I completed the welding

I am using CPP modular drop spindles. Below is the initial mock up of the front suspension. Notice that I had to pie cut the upper control arms to prevent binding of the ball joint when aired out.

I also ran into tie rod clearance and travel problems.

So I had to drill out the taper on my brand new spindles and make new tire rods with hiem joints. This allowed me to move the joint to the bottom of the steering arm. This should help with bump steer.

I then put cups in the lower control arms to get the bags moved down as far as possible.

I also have to clearance the lower control arms for the inner tie rods. This area will be boxed bag in during final welding.

I picked up a set of GM transport wheels with tires for this build.

This pretty much completed the front suspension mock up. Below is a picture with it blocked up somewhere around around ride height.

While I was working on the front suspension I started by design for the rear suspension. Custom 4 link, step notch, and bag mounts. These parts are currently being cut by a laser cutter. I have some of the parts and will begin the fabrication this week most likely.

I do have the rear axle tacked in place at the laid out height to start building the notch and 4 link.

While I am waiting on the laser parts I started mocking up the engine and transsmission. I am converting to a SBC and want to stay with the 3 speed on the column. Below is the engine (block only) and transmission set in the frame on new western chassis tubular motor mounts, ingenuity fab and speed transmission crossmember and energy suspencion poly bushings everywhere.

Let me know what you think. Comments, criticism, suggestions, and questions welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by dc2842002; 09-17-2018 at 08:46 PM.
dc2842002 is offline   Reply With Quote