The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
skyphix

Introduction and Short Story

Hey all,
I've been lurking here for a long time but figured it was time to sign up.

I had to sell my old cars about 10 years ago and have missed them ever since - finally have the means to pick something up and make it my own. I went truck this time - mostly because I need a bed, but also because I've never owned a classic truck.

I picked up this 1980 SWB.

Originally a 250 i6 truck, its got a basically stock 1979 350 with a mild build TH350 behind it. Sitting on an unknown flip kit and 2" drop spindles in the front. I have 2" belltec drop springs to swap in, but here's where the story is...

I live in Maine. Sort of toward the middle of the state. The truck is located in western South Carolina. I've yet to see it in person (though I have a good friend in the area that picked the truck up for me and has been going through it.) I'm flying down on Thursday, we're thrashing on it (just tune up stuff) on Friday, and I leave Saturday morning for the 1300 mile/21 hour drive home. I've shipped a bunch of tools and the normal spare parts down to SC already (fuel pump, coil, etc.) and will be doing the usual tune up stuff before I leave. I'm doing the trip itself solo - and hopefully, in less than 24h. No radio, no AC... just me, my truck, windows down, and a lot of road time.

This is going to become my running/driving project (I already have an overlanding 4runner and a 1972 Honda motorcycle for non-driving projects right now!) and will get a 5.3 (L59) swapped in next spring/summer (I have a complete 2006 Yukon that is being used as a winter vehicle but is completely rusted out... truck has 300,000 miles but the engine only has 45,000.) Basically, burnouts, some 1/8 mile dragstrip time, daily driver, dump run truck is the goal here.

Wish me luck!
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote