The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Great news

Man, I'm stoked. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

So, I go today and pick up a lower radiator hose for the 79. I asked Roger (parts store owner) where I might be able to get the 85 inspected and them pass it with dual cats. He offers a suggestion. So, I take the 79 back up to where I normally go to get my vehicles inspected. This guy is by the book. I asked him once before about adding another cat. He quickly told me it would fail if I changed anything to the way GM designed the exhaust from the cat forward. So, I've been stuck all these years with a y-pipe and single cat.

Anyway I've been talking to him a lot lately getting to know him better. He is a hard man to get to know. Sort of quiet and don't talk unless you ask him a question. Then he only answers your question point blank. Well he's talking more now which is strange in itself. But while getting the 79 inspected, I said to him, after talking about old trucks and stuff, I sure wish I could find somewhere I could get my 85 passed with 2 cats and true dual exhaust. I asked him why is the state won't let us add another cat? He said because you would need two O2 sensors and the computer won't work right. I quickly told him I had no O2 sensor or computer. He said well I don't see what it would hurt to have two cats then. I said well I would hate to change my exhaust and it not pass. He again said, I don't see why it wouldn't pass. I then asked, well, would you pass it? He said, yes, as long as nothing else is changed and I have two cats, he would.

This has made my week, month and year.

Guess what's on the agenda for me? Anyone need a good Random Technology 3" in/out converter. I'll be selling it cheap as I will have to get two 2.5" cats now. Still undecided about what to do about the mufflers I'll be using.

Edit: Just thought of something. I will probably keep the 3" cat and just get another one to match. This would help the flow more over a 2.5" cat and be a lot cheaper on me.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 05-14-2004 at 03:16 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote