The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
Fuggers

Small rubber fuel line leak at the frame rail.

Here's a scary story. I take my 72 c20 for what will be it's last fuel fill-up before winter. The tank had maybe 1/4 left and still filled another 20 or so gallons, I think (I checked my receipt later and the total bill was 70 bucks). I didn't hear or smell anything unusual so I hopped back in and fired it up, drove a couple miles to get lunch. When I stop and get out I noticed a trail of fluid going right into where I backed the truck up to the curb.

I pause for a moment then take a peak under the truck to see fluid really pouring out. I first assumed it was coolant because I had just topped it off and don't have an overflow tank yet, it was kind of a hot day. I then realized it's way too far back to be coolant . It was shooting all over the ground about a foot back from the cab on the passenger side. I quickly take a peak under there and notice fuel spraying out from the upper rubber line that connects the two hard lines right at the frame. It was literally spraying from 12 different pin holes and gushing from 2 larger ones, directly onto my resonator on the exhaust. I start to panic and get my dog out of the truck immediatly.

To make a long story shorter. I didn't have the leash and had to call my wife to quickly come down and pick the dog up. All the while I'm standing there waiting for the truck to go up in flames and watching this puddle grow larger and larger. She showed up and I ran across the street to an Ace hardware quickly purchased two large had tanks, some house to siphon with, some fuel line, and a screws driver. I ran back, siphoned out 10 gallons and the leaks all completely stopped. The tank is still half full but there isn't a single drop on my garage door after about a week.

What happened? I have fuel line to replace this small section but I'm assuming as soon as I unhook that hose I'm going to get the other half of the tank pouring out. Is this upper hose for a different portion of the in cab tank? Was the pressure just high enough to show all the cracks and holes? I got this truck about 6 months ago, it's very well taken care of and I've filled the truck a couple times before without this happening.

The black line is the one that leaked like a colander. The tape was me trying things in a panic. Any recommendations for my next step?
Attached Images

Fuggers is offline   Reply With Quote