The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
jojo-munson

New stereo with 4 inch speakers

Just thought I'd share the adventure I went through of putting a new stereo system in the truck. Thanks to all the posts on this site this for giving me great ideas on how to do this!

My grandpa didn't buy the truck with radio, but at some point he installed an aftermarket tape player so he and my grandma could listen to audio books while they took long drives going camping. Well at the time I was handed the truck, the radio and speakers (which were just thrown under the seat without a box or anything) were long dead.

Since the dash was already cut up I decided to get a cheapo bluetooth stereo so I could listen to audio books and podcasts myself. That's the easy bit, since the dash was already cut for the previous stereo. The hard part was deciding where to put speakers. I read that with a pair of 4" ones I could fit them in the stock location.

Name:  midway_point.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  61.0 KB

I cut a little 4"x10" piece of particle board, and drilled out the appropriate holes.

Next challenge was figuring out how to actually attach the speakers without a bracket. The speaker magnets were very strong, so I applied some command strips and actually stuck them to the stereo insert itself.

Name:  radio_dash.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  38.2 KB

The speakers actually get really loud, certainly loud enough to bump tunes while my hair blows in the wind and the sound quality is better than I expected. The only issue is that when I try to plug my phone in and charge it, the stereo pops and turns off after a few seconds. Not a big deal, but oh well.

Maybe now I should fabricate a plate of something to cover the stolen ash tray...

Name:  radio_vent.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  61.0 KB