The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Starter Motor Questions

After my starting problems on Sundy I charged my battery right up and went over to see an exhaust shop about getting some new tailpipes made up and again, she refused to start afetr I had just shut her off, so it seems that my problem is starter motor related rather than battery, as after an hour cooling down she fired up fine. It's always suffered a bit from heat soak but it seems she's really bitten the dust now. So I now need to replace the starter.

1: I have been told that there are two possible bolt patterns on the starter, it's a 69 350 sbc, does anyone have a picture of the two different types to help me identify which one I have. Is this information correct by the way and are the flexplates on a TH350 a standard number of teeth.

2: Is there anything else I should be aware of when replacing the starter motor, any tips or hints that might help me? Should it just be a straight pull and replace?

3: I also intend to fit a heat shield to try and preserve the new starter, is anyone using the Mr Gasket one and is it OK?

Anything else I need to know?

As always thanks for sharing your knowledge!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote