The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
rcazwillis

Registering Truck in Texas

Sharing what I have learned.

Zane's 71 has been sitting since 1995. Title was issued in 1976 to my Dad. He is gifting the truck to Zane. The title says it needs to be notorized when signed by previous owner. Not sure newer titles have this requirement.

To gift a vehicle, form 14-317 must be completed. Previous owner must sign and be notorized. Form is taken to tax assessor and signed in front of clerk by new owner. Tax is $10. This saves sales tax on the vehicle.

Form 130-U Application for Title must also be signed by previous owner and submitted to county tax assessor.

When apply for new title, you can also register the vehicle at the same time. This would save a painful trip to tax office. The vehicle must be inspected prior to this point since the inspections are now digital records. The vehicle can't be inspected until it has insurance. Can you get insurance on a vehicle you don't yet own.

To avoid breaking the laws...I have to go to tax assessor for title change. Then get insurance on the vehicle. Then trailer the vehicle to local business for inspection. Then trailer it home. Then go to tax assessor for registration.

All this and I suspect Texas is one of the easy states. Hoping to get the inspection completed this weekend.

Last edited by rcazwillis; 02-21-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: correct forms
rcazwillis is offline   Reply With Quote