The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
Chris_oz

Towing with and modifying my C20 ???

Hi all,

I am at a cross-roads with my truck. I am not sure whether to modify it to make it what I thought I wanted, or drive it as it is, with upgrades / improvements as I go along.
The more I drive it as is, the more I like it.

My initial plan was to set it up for towing our caravan, which is a 20’6” full size van that weighs just on 4500lb. I currently tow it with a 2yr old Ford crew cab Ranger.
I want the Chevy to tow it so I may be able to sell the Ford, and save me some money.

Mine is a 1970 C20 longhorn, 255hp 350, 4 speed (SM465), stock Eaton HD52 rear end with 4.56:1 ratio.
Manual steer, power drums, HD front and rear springs, front and rear sway bars, A/C.

Truck is all stock other than electronic ignition, it has 72K on the speedo and runs like a new one, she blows a little smoke on start up when cold, but cleans up when warm.
It really does run well, perfect starting, hot and cold, returns 14.5-15mpg on country roads / highway if I keep it at 60mph.

I had planned on doing the following.

Edelbrock or Patriot 64cc alloy heads.
Comp XE268H cam and suitable lifters.
Edelbrock 2601 Performer Airgap Q-jet manifold. ( I have this new in box at home)
2.5” ramhorns.
2.5” twin with H pipe system
Carb and ignition as required.
Built 4L80E or 4L85E set up for towing with a 2000-2200 rpm lock-up stall

Out here in Australia the above will cost just on $7,000 + transmission controller + bottom end freshen up.

Unfortunately my job is changing, which means a large drop in take home pay (the other benefits I hope will make up for it).
This leaves me in a spot where my spare play money will dry up to a trickle soon, so I will not have the cash to do all that I wanted to do at once, maybe not at all.

I don’t have a tow hitch yet, I need to build one as no-one sells one out here and I can’t find one for sale out here.
I am going to fit my electric brake controller (legal requirement out here for trailers over 1500lb weight)
The vans brakes are strong, they will pull the van and current car up if required. It has 4 wheel electric drums (all new)
The trucks brakes are ALL NEW, whole system, its working fine other than a rear wheel that is locking up on me, I didn’t do the work and need to check it out.

I do have a new set of disc’s with 2.5 drop spindles, master, booster, prop valve if required, but I would rather keep it stock height, as it is high in the rear already.

Now to my questions.

Do I need to modify it to tow with?
I think I already know the answer to my questions, just looking for knowledgeable opinions and options

I know in the past plenty of people towed with these trucks, but just how practical are they as an occasional tow vehicle?
Any thoughts or feedback welcome, sorry for the long post.

Cheers
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote